Hello again! I’ve been on a blogging hiatus for the last few weeks, as I spent a month frolicking in the beautiful Australian countryside. Taking that time away from my normal routine (and not feeling like I had to come up with all the answers to life’s questions) allowed me to have a good think about who I want to be in 2017, how I want to live my life, and how I can help you do the same.
During my month-long musings I noticed something about myself that, truth be told, surprised me a little. I realized that I’ve become a “when this will happen, that will happen” kind of person.
Let me explain…
Over the past few years I’ve taken to thinking that I need external circumstances to change before I can really accomplish the goals that I’ve set myself. I’ve assumed that it will be easier to achieve what I want to achieve once XYZ happens.
For example, I thought that:
- When I got that job at the new Pilates studio… I would automatically become fitter.
- When I reorganized my kitchen… I would happily cook more at home.
- When I went on that holiday… I would return happier and more motivated than when I left.
- When I relocated…I would naturally be more confident and make more friends.
- When I reached my goal weight…I would love myself.
But it rarely turned out that way.
Saying that something will be different, doesn’t make it so. Nothing comes from words or thoughts that aren’t followed by actions.
I’ve known this, I’ve experienced this, but until now I haven’t truly internalized it.
The truth is, that for something in our life to change, we need to make a change first. You can’t think your way into a better body, a happier marriage, or a more fulfilling career, if all you do is think about it. Thinking, writing or speaking goals, aren’t worth a dime if they aren’t followed by action.
So, as we start the new year I want to ask you this: Are you ready to take action? Are you ready to take action to create a body and a life that you love, even if all the pieces of the puzzle haven’t yet fallen into place?
I’m ready to take that challenge, and I invite you to do the same.
Now I’d Love To Hear From You:
- Have you ever relied on external circumstances changing before you can become the person you want to be?
- Or, perhaps you’ve never experienced the “when this happens, that will happen” thought process. If that’s the case, what’s your secret to taking purposeful action?
I’d love to know your thoughts. Please leave a comment below.
It’s great to be back with you.
*PS Remember that massive blue planner that I lugged across the world? Other important items that made their way into my suitcase included: curry paste (a lot of curry paste), Kraft peanut butter, tins of tuna, leaf tea, and, somewhat awkwardly, three crushable boxes of salt and vinegar chips. I packed those in my carry on, of course. Now if I can just figure out how to transport a couple of legs of lamb…