Do you jump out of bed at the buzz of the alarm?
Or are you more closely acquainted with SNOOZE than the first rays of sunshine?
Personally I’ve never been one to stick my head under the pillow. I compare waking up to ripping off a Bandaid — if you’ve got to get it done, you might as well just do it.
(But that might just be the country girl in me speaking.)
While my morning enthusiasm is partly sparked by the 10 minute routine I do after I get up (check it out here), there are 5 other habits that I haven’t shared with you, which really put a spring in my sleepy-eyed step…
In fact, it’s the five activities that I complete BEFORE I go to bed that make the biggest difference.
In the video below I’m going to walk you through the five things that you can do tonight to enjoy tomorrow even more, all of which are simple, practical and adaptable for your lifestyle.
Once you’ve had a chance to watch I’d love to hear from you. So stick around and join in the discussion at the bottom of the page.
To Recap, Here’s What We Covered
Evening Ritual #1: Protect Your Neck From Computer Posture
- Fixing “chicken neck” isn’t as easy as seeing a Hollywood plastic surgeon, so you’d better start working on yours now!
- Computer posture that causes you to stick your chin forward can put up to 60 pounds of extra pressure on your neck and spine, which over time can lead to disc compression, migraines, and neck and shoulder pain
- In the video below I’m demonstrating exactly what those neck flexor exercises look like — try them tonight
Evening Ritual #2: Turn Off All Screens 30 Minutes Before Bed
- There are (at least) three good reasons to shut down your technology well before hitting the hay:
- The blue light disrupts melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep
- Media is stimulating and you need to give your brain a break
- Your favorite show is ruining any chance of developing an “early bed time” routine
Evening Ritual #3: Tidy Your Kitchen
- Now you’ve shut down the tech a little earlier you can take some time to potter in the kitchen
- Sit out things for a healthy breakfast (or your morning cup of Joe)
- Put away anything that needs to be cleared…
- It’s such a treat to wake up and see this neat space!
Evening Ritual #4: Journal For Gratitude & Reflection
- “Busy brain syndrome” occurs when you’re body is tired but you’re mind is on fire with to-do’s, concerns and the random thoughts that only occur after lights out
- Not surprisingly, this is not conducive for getting a good nights sleep
- My remedy is to do a quick evening journal practice that focuses on gratitude and reflection (learn about it here)
Evening Ritual #5: Set Out Tomorrow’s Clothes
- Setting out an outfit before you go to bed saves the hassle of finding clothes in the morning…
- This leaves you extra AM time for doing nice things…
- I recommend making a healthy breakfast, taking a walk or catching up with a good book
Now I’d love to hear from you!
Do you have any evening rituals that make you excited to wake up the next day?
Let me know by leaving a comment below.